This is definitely a comfort food the entire family enjoyed. I love the creamy texture, and the added bonus of a little breading on top. I tried to swap out some of the fattier ingredients to make healthier, but overall – just enjoyed. It was nice to see the entire family eat something everyone liked (although, Callie did pick out the peas. She’s going through a “pea” phase). Enjoy!
- 3 Cups Cubed cooked Chicken
- 1 Cup Frozen Carrots
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas (you can get frozen peas/carrots mixed – then 2 cups)
- 6 TBL Margarine or butter (I use smart balance)
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Tbl Chicken Bouillon (or 6 Cubes Boullion)
- 1/4 Tsp pepper
- 4 Cups Milk (I used 3 Cups FF, 1 of 2%. If you do this or all FF, use another 1/4 cup flour to thicken it up)
- 2 1/4 Cups Biscuit baking mix
Preheat oven to 375. In large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, bouillon and pepper. Over medium heat, gradually add milk, cook and stir until mixture thickens. Add remaining ingredients (except biscuit mix); mix well. Pour into 2 1/2 Quart baking dish. Prepare biscuit mix according to package directions for rolled biscuits. roll out to cover dish, cutting slashed in center of dough. Place on top of dish, crimp edges. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden. (I used my round metal pie edge cover so the edges of the crust didn’t burn, you can use foil too).
Happy Eating Friends! ~Trina