Mmmmm, Thai! I want to lunch with my bestie Becky (Zealand calls her Ducky) and it was my first lunch outing in at least six months! And it was relaxing and fun and wonderful and the food was delicious! I was so excited when I suggested Thai and she was down. I ordered Pad Thai (and I usually order Green Curry Chicken) and I loved it. She ordered Panang Curry Shrimp and we both loved it! So you know I had to find a recipe. Modified from a recipe I found from Rachel Cooks Thai.
Panang Curry with Chicken
1 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons panang curry paste
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
2 cups thinly sliced chicken, cooked
1/2 cup water
4 kaffir lime leaves (I didn’t do this, but sounds great!)
fish sauce and sugar to taste
- Pound 1 tablespoon of roasted peanuts into 2 tablespoons of panang curry paste.
- Scoop the top 1/3 cup of thicker coconut milk off the top of a newly opened can and into a large pan. Heat the coconut milk over medium heat until it starts to boil and separate.
- Add the peanuty curry paste and stir into the coconut milk until its well incorporated. Then add your chicken slices and coat them with the curry paste.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk and water and let the beef cook until it’s nice and tender. If the chicken gets dry, add more water.
- Once the chicken is tender, add the kaffir lime leaves and season with fish sauce and sugar. I used about a teaspoon of sugar, but the curry paste I used had just the right amount of salt in it, so I didn’t need fish sauce.
- Serve with a sprinkling of kaffir lime leaves on top and jasmine rice on the side.
Buon Appetito! Leah