I’ve never really been one to order fruit with my salad.. However – at a dinner party about a year ago a friend made me try her spinach salad with cranberries on it….and I loved it. Although this doesn’t necessarily account a a full meal, it’s a great side to a light dish such as chicken or pork. It’s also fabulous for a something quick you can throw together.
- 6 oz (approx 6 cups) baby spinach leaves
- 1 pint (approx. 16 medium-size) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered or sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons poppy seed dressing (see below instructions)
- 1/2 cup candied pecan pieces (you can buy these at the store or use just regular pecans)
- 1/4 cup grated/minced red onion (half of a small onion)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, to taste (you can substitute 1/2 truvia & 1/2 sugar for less sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil (yes, I splurged and used this)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
–Mince the onion. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard, & salt to the blender or food processor and mix until combined. Add the oils. Blend until well mixed (this is important!). Add poppy seeds and pulse just until mixed.
–In a bowl. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, minced onion, and poppy seeds until well combined. Continue whisking while adding the oils in a thin stream. Keep whisking until well combined.
–In a jar. Add everything except the 2 oils to the jar. Cover and shake to combine. Add 2 oils and shake vigorously until well combined.
If too thick, may be thinned by whisking in water a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.